Upendra Nath Brahma, College
Message from the Principal
Welcome to Upendra Nath Brahma College.
In retrospect, I am reminded of the establishment of Upendra Nath Brahma College, which came into existence in the year 2001, thanks to the efforts and contribution of the academia of the area, well-wishers of the society and stakeholders who made it possible with their conception and confidence to establish it as an institution of higher education in the area.
I am really honoured and feel very privileged to function as the Principal of this institution of higher education. Let me take this opportunity to thank the previous Management /Governing body of this college for giving me the opportunity to serve the society here in this recently constituted district of BTC, Assam. The college passed through tough phases in the beginning and gradually became a leading institution through its experiments and enriched experiences. We have gradually been able to expand different range of courses both in Arts & Commerce to cater to the emerging needs of students, enabling them to meet the present competitive challenges.
The college has already overcome considerable material limitations, but still it has a long way to go as our attempt is to continuously upgrade ourselves. We are confident of achieving our goal with the collective effort of our learned faculty members, non -teaching staff, students, parents and all those who tirelessly work behind the scene. In order to accomplish our vision and Mission, we are prepared to take as much efforts as possible. We believe education is effective medium of social transformation and up-gradation. We too firmly believe on Nelson Mandela’s saying that “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”.
It is a matter of pleasure to extend a warm and heartiest welcome to all the prospective students to enroll themselves under different disciplines being offered in this higher educational institution of the BTC Region, Assam and equip themselves with rich experience imbibed through their on and off class interface with our enlightened faculty members; well equipped library and other facilities.
Students bring strength and vitality to the life of a college. I look forward to their achievements and attainments in the larger sphere of their life.
Dr. Nilpadmini Rabha is the Present principal of U. N. Brahma College. She had joined in this college in the year 2001, since it has established she have served for 10(ten) years as Asst. Professor in the Department of Philosophy and as principal for another ten years till the date of Provincialisation. Now her service come to mark as provincialised. It is worth mentioning to record the service of Dr. Nilpadmini Rabha present principal of Upendra Nath Brahma College who came forward to serve this institution at a time when its future was uncertain at the nascent time.
She was awarded PhD in philosophy from the prestigious North Eastern Hill University, Shillong, Meghalaya, in the field of philosophy, M.phil from AssamUniversity, Silchar, M.A.from Gauhati University, B. A. from Handique Girls College, Ghy . Under G. U. she holds rich research experience in the area of tribal religious philosophy of North East India and published some papers related to the area. Pursuing her interests in Mountaineering, she did Basic and Advance courses in Mountaineering from Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling. During her college life she had an active NCC cadet.
In Academic field she has developed her career by publishing few research based articles and attending courses. Following are some list of her publications:
Papers presented at symposia and seminars:
- Rabha, N., 2010, ‘Rabha Religious Belief and Practices’ in in 85th session of Indian Philosophical Congress, 2010, held at University of Gauhati, (26-29 October, 2010).
- Rabha, N.,2012, ‘Insight into the Ecology and Ethics of the Rabhas’ in 6th Annual National seminar by SANSKRITI, North Eastern institute of Culture and Religion,Guwahati ( 16-18 November, 2012).
- Rabha, N., 2015, ‘Ritualistic Ceremonies as the Cultural Heritage of the Rabhas’ in the National seminar on Cultural Pluralism in India and inter-cultural Dialogue by Centre for Studies in Civilization, New Delhi, held at ICSSR, NEHU Campus, Shillong (23-24 February, 2015).
- Rabha, N., 2017, “Relevance of Patanjali-Yoga in Present Day Context and for Promoting Peace”, in the 21st India Conference of WAVES on Practical Aspects of Vedic Knowlege, held at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Delhi Kendra, New Delhi (10th-12th December, 2017).
Research article published as book chapters:
- Rabha, N. 2014, “Insight of Ecology and Ethics of the Rabhas” page no 135-142 in the book “Indigenous Resource Management in North East India”, Ed. By K. Joes and Gautam kr. Bera, ISBN no.978-93-81981-08-5, New Delhi: Omsons Publications.
- Rabha, N. 2018, “Understanding of Supreme God in Rabha Traditional Religion: A philosophical Study” page no 589-592 in the book “PERSPECTIVES”(A collection of Essays on Language, Ethnicity & Identity), Ed. By Mohan, R and Choudhury, M, ISBN no.978-93-80247-79-3, printed by Shyam Offset, Borbazar, Tinsukia.
- The Rabha: A traditional Society in Modern Day India, ISBN -978-17-75160-77-9, published by OCCAM ACADEMIC PRESS, 609-3533 Derry RdE, Mississauga , ONL4T1B1, Canada.
Workshops/ Knowledge Enrichment Programs Attended:
- Participated in “Three days Philosophy Research Scholars’ Workshop cum Training Program on research and Philosophy” by Deptt. Of Philosophy, NEHU and sponsored by ICPR, New Delhi, 15th to 17th March, 2012.
- Participated in the ‘North East Philosophy Teacher’s Meet, July, 2013 by ICPR, New Delhi, held at NEHU, Shillong.
- Attended 7 days camp on National Integration Camp, 1992 by NSS at Vidyasagar University, West Bengal.
4. Attended OP131 ,UGC–Human Resource Development Centre Himachal Peadesh University, Shimla-5 4-week Orientation Programme (OP-131) w.e.f. 25-02-25.
5. Attended R C 318, UGC – Human Resource Development Centre Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla-5 Refresher Course on ICT (ID) RC-318 w.e.f. 02.03.2020 to 14.03.2020.
Research Interest: Philosophy of Religion, Indigenous values, culture, knowledge etc.
Research Experience: Six years of research experience in indigenous religion and culture of North East India.
Other qualifications and Experiences:
- SLET, June, 2011.
- NET, June, 2012.
- NCC ‘B’ Certificate.
- Mountaineering ‘Basic’ and ‘Advance’ Course from HMI, Darjeeling.
- Teaching in Goalpara English School as asst. teacher from 1997 to 2000.
- Teaching in Upendra Nath Brahma College, Chirang (BTAD) as asst. pr
Professor from 2001 to 2010 and as Principal from 2010 till date.